When a merciless bear poacher is caught and arrested deep in the woods of a state park, he and his truck are taken to a neglected precinct in the heart of a dying city. Unbeknownst to the authorities, the impounded truck holds a deadly cargo in the form of the legendary Sasquatch. Now, stuck in an unfamiliar world, the creature will let nothing and no one stop it from coming face-to-face with the unscrupulous man who ruthlessly ripped it from its environment. Taking an inventive and action packed approach, “Sasquatch Assault” breaths new and exciting life into the immortal legend of Bigfoot.
Blood of Dracula’s Castle was released October 5th 1969
Tagline: ONCE THE GATE CLOSES YOU’LL NEVER GET OUT!
Plot outline: Count Dracula (Alexander D’Arcy) and his vampire wife (Paula Raymond), hiding behind pseudonyms, lure girls to their castle in the Arizona desert to be drained of blood by their butler George (John Carradine), who then mixes real bloody marys for the couple. Then the real owners of the castle show up, along with Johnny, who is a serial killer or a werewolf depending on which version you watch. The owners refuse to sell, so Dracula wants to force them to sell..
Cast – in credits order (verified as complete)
Alexander D’Arcy … Count Dracula, alias Count Charles Townsend
Paula Raymond … Countess Townsend
Gene O’Shane … Glen Cannon
Barbara Bishop … Liz Arden
Robert Dix … Johnny
John Carradine … George, the butler
Ray Young … Mango
Vicki Volante … Ann, motorist-victim
Make Up Department
Jean Hewitt … makeup artist
Kenny Osborne … special makeup effects
By the late 1960’s, the fledging film production company Independent International had already begun to make a name for itself in the exploitation film market. While partners Sam Sherman and Al Adamson only had one feature to their credit at this point, Satan’s Sadists had come in on the cutting edge of the new violent biker movie trend that was currently sweeping the drive-in theater circuit. Hoping to cash in on the always popular horror genre, Adamson had procured a story treatment called Feast of the Vampires and writer Rex Carlton was brought in to translate the tale of cannibal vampires into a screenplay. The finished film may not have retained much of the original story but it did prove to be one of director Adamson’s most coherent productions and a popular item in theaters and on television for many years to come. Sadly, Blood of Dracula’s Castle would also end up being a black eye for Independent International and a source of financial disappointment
On a meager budget estimated to be around $60,000, Sherman and Adamson were able to secure both an excellent location and an impressive cast. Shea Castle (also known as Sky Castle) was built in the Southern California desert near Del Sur by a real estate tycoon in the early 1920’s. The imposing structure was modeled after medieval Irish castles and came complete with a lake and its own private air strip. Tales of supernatural phenomenon still surround the site and at least one death by suicide has been confirmed within its walls. It was at this architectural curiosity that Adamson assembled his equally curious cast of veteran actors and members of his ever growing repertory company.
Alex D’Arcy (Horrors of Spider Island) and Paula Raymond (Beast From 20,000 Fathoms), both of whose long careers were nearly at an end, were cast as Count and Countess Townsend (aka Dracula). Robert Dix (Forbidden Planet) played the psychopath Johnny who in some versions of the film even turns out to be a werewolf! At the last minute, veteran horror actor John Carradine was added for name value and (mis)cast as George the butler. While Carradine makes everything he can out of a throwaway role, it seems almost impossible that he could appear in this film at all and NOT play Dracula! The remaining cast, including Gene O’Shea, Barbara Bishop, and Vicki Volante all give performances in excess of the film’s low budget. This combination of cast and location made it look like there was far more on the screen than the cost conscious Independent International had really spent.
Blood of Dracula’s Castle is the tale of modern day vampires, who may be the original Count and Countess Dracula, living in an isolated desert castle. To survive, they capture young women who are chained in their dungeon basement and drained of their blood through the most modern of techniques. At some point in history, the Draculas apparently became mixed up with the cult of the moon goddess Luna. Whenever things get boring around the castle, they sacrifice one of their blood slaves with the help of their butler George, who just happens to be a high priest! Also on hand for laughs are Mango the mute hunchback and Johnny the recently escaped homicidal killer/werewolf. Things get complicated when a young couple inherit the castle and decide they want to evict the current tenants and live there themselves. By the end of the film the vampires, who seem a little too civilized for their own good, and their associates are dispatched and the young heroes are left to ponder if they really want to live in a castle out in the middle of the desert after all.
Director Al Adamson manages to infuse some unique and unconventional touches that give the film a charm all its own. The vampires only drink blood from wine glasses after their butler has extracted it from their victims with a large syringe. When they meet their end by turning to dust in the light of the sun, the Count and Countess turn into bats and fly off into the castle. The final moments of the film are a Mango-fest as the hulking brute is shot, hit with an axe, set on fire, AND shoved off a cliff! Hopefully actor Ray Young got a bonus for that days work!
Unfortunately after the film was completed it became locked in legal turmoil. The financial backers had this film and another one, Nightmare in Wax starring an eye patched Cameron Mitchell as a demented artist, in production at the same time. When Nightmare ran into financial problems with the lab that the backers could not resolve it was trapped in legal limbo. Blood of Dracula’s Castle had been cross collateralized with Nightmare in the finance arrangement so it was stuck too. A distributor called Crown International eventually paid off the lab costs and obtained the rights to both films which they played on a very successful double bill. Independent International lost all rights to the picture and spent years competing against their own product for drive-in rentals.
After a long and successful theatrical run, the film was syndicated to television by two different companies in two different versions. One version, from Crown International, is the same as the one they distributed to theaters and the character of Johnny is just an ordinary psychopath with a fixation on the moon. In the other version, credited to Paragon International Pictures, the distributors apparently decided their weren’t enough monsters in the mash so Johnny actually turned out to be a werewolf! To accomplish this, they filmed some additional scenes of an actor in a Don Post werewolf mask killing a prison guard and chasing a woman through the woods. The new footage doesn’t exactly make sense because the werewolf beats the guard to death with a club and in the chase scene he is wearing his prison uniform again even though by this point Johnny has stolen clothes and reached the castle where he apparently keeps a full wardrobe. Later in the film, Johnny doesn’t turn into a werewolf during the full moon sacrifice he participates in and is subsequently killed with a regular bullet! These dueling versions kept young horror in fans
Source(s) CrazedFanBoy.com, Wikipedia
The Mummy’s Hand is a (1940) black-and-white horror film, produced by Ben Pivar for Universal Studios. Although it is sometimes claimed by fans as a sequel or follow-up to the 1932 film The Mummy, it does not continue the 1932 film’s storyline, or feature any of the same characters, and its plot suggests rather an unacknowledged remake of the earlier mummy film. It was the first of four films featuring the mummy Kharis.
To make the mummy appear more frightening, Tom Tyler’s eyes (and the inside of his mouth) were blacked out frame-by-frame in almost all close-ups.
Due to a clerical oversight, The Mummy’s Hand (1940) was never legally made available for television viewings, and remained largely unseen until Universal Studios VHS release in 1997.It was also the lone MUMMY feature that Realart did not own the theatrical rights to issue in the late 40′s-early 50′s.Viewers who attended screenings of its sequel,”The Mummy’s Tomb”(1942),did get to see about 15 minutes of footage cribbed from this film.
The excavation scenes were shot on the Universal back-lot in a rocky and desert-like section of the natural hills known as “Gausman’s Gulch,” named after Russell A. Gausman, set decorator on this film, and many other of Universal’s horror films. To give the gulch a more canyon-like and wild appearance, it was augmented with artificial rock-faces and boulders.
Shooting began late May-June, 1940, released September 20.
Part of the original SHOCK THEATER package of 52 Universal titles released to television in 1957, followed a year later with SON OF SHOCK, which added 21 more features.
Orca is a 1977 horror film directed by Michael Anderson and produced by Dino De Laurentiis and starring Richard Harris, Will Sampson and Charlotte Rampling. Orca was poorly received by critics and audiences alike due in part to its similarities to the film Jaws released two years prior. Upon release the film received only minor theatrical success, but in recent years the film has achieved a cult following among fans of the eco-horror sub genre. Richard Harris enjoyed his experiences during filming, and took offence at any comparison between Orca and Jaws.
The killer whale was portrayed by a combination of stock footage taken at Marine World in Redwood City, California, and an animatronic whale which was filmed off the coasts of Malta and Newfoundland.
In the mid-80s, Dino De Laurentiis considered a sequel to King Kong (1976) that would have had him going head-to-head with an Orca.
I Saw What You Did (1965) is a Universal Pictures feature film starring Joan Crawford and John Ireland in a tale of murder. The screenplay by William P. McGivern was based upon the 1964 novel Out of the Dark by Ursula Curtiss. The film was directed and produced by William Castle, and co-produced by Dona Holloway. The 2002 widescreen DVD release used the film’s original 1965 poster title “I Saw What You Did” And I Know Who You Are!.
Joan Crawford was paid $50,000 for four days work.
After Joan Crawford joined the cast her role was meant to be a cameo, although she was given top billing.
Joan Crawford was approached for this film one month after she left Hush…Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964) due to an “ailment” that prevented her from working (which is believed to have actually been sick of working with her arch enemy Bette Davis). Therefore, William Castle requested that Crawford’s doctors sign a statement attesting that she was completely well before giving her the role.
During its original theatrical release some theaters installed seat-belts so you couldn’t be “shocked out of your seat”.
Joan Crawford’s role was originally offered to Grayson Hall, who would later join the cast of the enormously popular supernatural daytime soap opera “Dark Shadows” (1966) as Dr. Julia Hoffman, who tries to cure Barnabas Collins of being a vampire.
Dracula is a 1979 American/British horror film starring Frank Langella as Count Dracula. The film was directed by John Badham and the cinematography was by Gilbert Taylor. The original music score is composed by renowned composer John Williams.
The film also starred Laurence Olivier as Professor Abraham Van Helsing, Donald Pleasence as Dr. Jack Seward, Kate Nelligan as Lucy Seward, Trevor Eve as Jonathan Harker, Tony Haygarth as Milo Renfield, and Jan Francis as Mina Van Helsing. It won the 1979 Saturn Award for Best Horror Film.
Like Universal’s earlier 1931 version starring Bela Lugosi, the screenplay for this adaptation of Bram Stoker’s novel Dracula is based on the stage adaptation by Hamilton Deane and John L. Balderston, which ran on Broadway and also starred Langella in a Tony Award-nominated performance. Notable for its Edwardian setting, and strikingly designed by Edward Gorey, the play ran for over 900 performances between October 1977 and January 1980. It is also notable for switching the character’s roles of Mina Harker and Lucy Westenra.
The film was shot on location in England: at Shepperton Studios and Black Park, Buckinghamshire. Cornwall doubled for the majority of the exterior Whitby scenes; Tintagel (for Seward’s Asylum), and St Michael’s Mount (for Carfax Abbey).
The car that Jonathan Harker drives is a Hispano-Suiza.
Donald Pleasence was initially offered the role of vampire hunter Van Helsing, but rejected it, saying it was too similar to his role as Dr. Loomis in the “Halloween” films. He accepted the smaller role of Dr Seward instead.
This is a film adapted from a hit Broadway play. Frank Langella was nominated for a Tony Award for his stage performance of the title character.
Sylvester McCoy was interviewed for Renfield
The part that Teddy Turner played was spilt into two because the production team wanted to cast Sylvester McCoy in a role.
Most of Sylvester McCoy’s role was deleted from the final print.
Frank Langella, like Bela Lugosi, never wore fangs for the role of Dracula. He has stated that he considered it a compliment when fans of the film would comment on them anyway.
When Dracula hypnotizes Mina, he uses the line, “When I will something, it should be done.” A line once used by Bela Lugosi when he gave his “Great Vampire Bat Illusion” on an episode of “You Asked For It”.
This movie was based upon the production of “Dracula” that opened at the Martin Beck Theater in New York on October 20, 1977 and ran for 925 performances.
Frankenstein 1970 is a 1958 science fiction horror film, starring Boris Karloff and Don ‘Red’ Barry. This independent film was directed by Howard W. Koch, and its alternative titles were Frankenstein 1960 and Frankenstein 1975. Released on a low budget, the film was originally intended to be named Frankenstein 1960 but it did not sound futuristic enough. In October 2009, Warner Brothers released the DVD “Karloff & Lugosi Horror Classics” which includes Frankenstein 1970 as one of the four films and features an audio commentary by co-star Charlotte Austin and historians Tom Weaver and Bob Burns.
This project was proposed because of the success of the “Shock Theatre” package of Universal horror films released to television. The other contributing factors were the recent successes of the British-made The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and the low-budget American International release I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (1957). This low-budget film had the advantage of being shot in CinemaScope.
This film was originally going to be entitled “Frankenstein 1960″ but it didn’t sound futuristic enough. It was also thought to be too far fetched that an independent researcher could obtain his own atomic reactor in 1960.
Producer Aubrey Schenck had hoped to get the film released by Warner Brothers but had to settle for Allied Artists. Previously, movies produced by Schenck’s Bel-Air films, like “The Black Sleep,” had been released by United Artists.
The interiors were part of a set on Warner’s Stage Three, which had been constructed for the Errol Flynn-Dorothy Malone film “Too Much, Too Soon.” In addition, the budget conscious Schenck used cinematographer Carl Guthrie from the earlier film because his experience with the set allowed him to light the scenes quickly.
The film was scheduled for 8 shooting days and was completed on time. (1-9-58 to 1-20-58) Karloff worked all 8 days.
It was originally planned to include a ceramic bust of Karloff in all scenes where he was working on the monster, but that ultimately did not work out.
The black statuette from “The Maltese Falcon” was used by the Warner prop department to dress the set.
Although her husband Douglas Row (Don Barry) has apparently lost interest in wife Judy Stevens (Charlotte Austin) in favor of actress Carolyn Hayes (Jana Lund), Lund was actually 3 months older than Austin.
The original pitch for this production referred to it as “Frankenstein’s Castle.”
Dr. Frankenstein’s ancestor, who originally began work on the monster in 1740 is referred to as Richard. Previous films usually called him Victor or Henry.
Real life Chicago talk show host Tom Duggan played a role in the film and invited Charlotte Austin and Donald Barry on his show to give the film a publicity boost. Unfortunately both actors had a few drinks prior to going on camera and proceeded to belittle the film’s quality, much to Duggan’s chagrin.
Day of the Dead (also known as George A. Romero’s Day of the Dead) is a 1985 horror film by director George A. Romero, the third of Romero’s Dead Series of zombie horror films. It is preceded by Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. Director George A. Romero describes the film as a “tragedy about how a lack of human communication causes chaos and collapse even in this small little pie slice of society”. This film features Sherman Howard in an early appearance as Bub and up and coming make-up artist Gregory Nicotero playing Pvt. Johnson and doing the make-up effects.
The book Dr. Logan gives to Bub is Stephen King’s “Salem’s Lot.” Romero and King have been friends for many years.
George A. Romero had originally planned for all the zombies to perish in a massive explosion when they stumbled across explosive chemicals in the laboratory. Meanwhile, one of the crew members who had died during the attack was to have stayed dead and not come back as a zombie, thereby giving hope to the survivors.
The original script, for which George A. Romero couldn’t get budget for, involved the scientists living above ground in a fortress protected by electrified fences and the military living safely underground. It also involved a small army of trained zombies, and the conclusion to the trilogy more brutal than the released version. This later became the basis of Land of the Dead (2005)
All the extras who portrayed zombies in the climax received for their services: a cap that said “I Played A Zombie In ‘Day of the Dead’”, a copy of the newspaper from the beginning of the film (the one that says THE DEAD WALK!), and one dollar.
Most of the zombie extras in this film were Pittsburgh residents who volunteered to help in the film.
The first scene (abandoned city) of the movie was filmed in Fort Myers and Sanibel Island, Florida. The theatre shown in the opening is the Edison; Thomas Edison used to summer in Ft. Myers and his house there is a tourist attraction.
The budget for George A. Romero’s original script was estimated at $7 million, but he would only be given the money if he could film an R-rated film. He was told that if he went ahead and shot an unrated film with no limits on gore, the budget would be split in half to $3.5 million.
The lowest grossing film in George A. Romero’s “Dead” trilogy. Nonetheless, it’s gained a cult following over the last two decades, and the director himself has stated that he considers it his best film.
The underground facility was not on a soundstage. It was shot in the Wampum mine, a former limestone mine near Pittsburgh, that was being used for a underground storage facility. The 2,500,000 square foot mine is now operated as the Gateway Commerce Center who now called it a “subsurface storage facility”.
The only movie in George A. Romero’s “Dead” series where a zombie has a line of dialog (Bub says, “Hello Aunt Alicia.”).
In the scene change right after Logan tells the zombie that it needs to sit in the dark and think about what it did, and punishes it by turning off the light, a little bit of the “The Gonk” music from Dawn of the Dead (1978) can be heard in the scene change.
In the cafeteria scene, William McDermott (Jarlath Conroy) says that “All of the shopping malls are closed.” This is a clear reference to the film’s predecessor Dawn of the Dead (1978), which is set in a shopping mall.
There is a debatable scene in the film where Bub the zombie may or may not have another line of dialogue. When Sarah enters Logan’s lab, she is startled when Bub emerges from the shadows behind her. After this, he moans something that some fans believe is, “I’m sorry.”
During the scene of Miguel’s sedation, Lori Cardille told Anthony Dileo Jr. to actually slap her to make it look more authentic.
Director Cameo: [George A. Romero] As a zombie pushing a cart in the foreground during the final zombie feast, seen from the waist down and identified by his trademark plaid scarf wrapped around his waist.
During a holiday break in filming, makeup artist Gregory Nicotero used the realistic and gruesome model of his own head (as seen in a laboratory scene in the film) to play a practical joke on his mother.
Joseph Pilato (Rhodes) line “Choke on them” as he’s being ripped apart by zombies was ad-libbed by the actor.
The blood and entrails used in the disemboweling of Capt. Rhodes were real. Pig intestines and blood were procured form a nearby slaughterhouse and used to make the scene. During filming the refrigerator housing intestines and blood was unplugged by custodial staff, and the entrails started to spoil causing most of those involved to become physically sick.
Gaylen Ross (“Francine”, Dawn of the Dead-1978) is credited as “NYC Casting” in the end credits.
British band Gorillaz have sampled several audio clips from both Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Day of the Dead (1985): portions of the music and some dialogue (“Hello? Is there anyone there?”) from the latter feature in the track, “M1 A1″, on their 2001 debut album; and some of Bub the zombie’s grunts appear alongside sound-clips of the news reporters from Dawn of the Dead (1978) on one of their B-sides, “Hip Albatross”. Furthermore, part of the score from Dawn of the Dead (1978) is used in the intro track on the 2005 album, Demon Days. This album also features a track narrated by Dennis Hopper, who portrayed Kaufman in George A. Romero’s sequel that year, Land of the Dead (2005).
The band NRBQ was cast and appeared as Zombies in the mine.
Dr. Logan figures that the ratio of the undead to the human survivors is 400,000:1. When the film was made, in 1985, the population of the United States in our universe stood at about 240 million. If Dr. Logan is right, and the US population of this universe stood at roughly the same, and this film took place in 1985, there are 600 living human beings left in the USA. However, since the history of the universe in the “of the Dead” movies had radically diverged from real world history even before the ghouls emerged (notice the Venus probe in the first movie), the timeline of the “Dead” movies remains unclear (the Stephen King novel ‘Salem’s Lost appears in this film, even though in the real world it came out in 1975; note that the first film in this series came out in 1968; Diary of the Dead, set simultaneously with the events of Night of the Living Dead, features technology not available in 1968 in our world), and we do not know how long after the ghouls emerged that this film takes place, one cannot easily presume that this film takes place in 1985 or that the US population would have remained the same.
Some of the headlines from the newspaper that says “The Dead Walk” appear to be: “Vice President Declares State of Emergency,” “Whereabouts of President Unknown,” “Food Supply Dwindles” and “Man Bites Man.”
The first film in George A. Romero’s “Dead” series to begin a tradition of having a clown zombie, as also seen in Land of the Dead (2005) and Diary of the Dead (2007).
Cameo: [Taso N. Stavrakis] In 2 roles: Appears as a Cave Zombie who gets bashed on the head with wood by Sarah. Referred to as Knock-On-Wood Zombie. He also appears as a Biker Zombie as the Zombie battle begins.
Cameo: [Ed Lammi (Associate Producer)] A Zombie with a cast arm entering the room after Steel commits suicide.
The Zombies who attack and feast on Captain Rhodes are played by Hermie Granati, David Granati, Joey Granati, and Rick Granati of the Pittsburgh rock band, The Granati Brothers (otherwise known as G-Force).
Cameo: [Akram Midani] The former Dean of Fine Arts in Carnegie Mellon appears as a Fisherman Zombie pursuing Steel through the Mines. (You can see his wife Watfa Midani right next to him as another Zombie.)
Cameo: [Annie Loeffler (Assistant Director)] Female Cave Zombie (shot by John).
Pat Logan, who played Uncle Rege in Night of the Living Dead (1990) appears as a Bald Mustachioed Zombie shot by Steel in the mines.
Paul Gagne (Sound Designer of Maurice Sendak’s ‘Where the Wild Things Are (1973)’ (1988 version)), Robert Martin, Mark Steensland, appear as Rickles’ Zombie attackers in the mine.
Cameo: [Howard Berger (Assistant Makeup Artist)] Spinaround Cave Zombie (shot by John).
Cameo: [Everett Burrell (Assistant Makeup Artist] A Surgeon Zombie in the Cave.
Cameo: [John Vulich (Assistant Makeup Artist)] The last Zombie shot in the cave before our heroes enter the Silo.
The “Day Of The Dead” love ballad song, “The World Inside Your Eyes” which appeared at the end credits of the movie was sung by Sputzy Sparacino (who was the lead singer and guitarist of the dance band Modern Man at that time) and 70s/80s disco/funk/soul singer Delilah.
Sputzy Sparacino and his band Modern Man appear to be uncredited as the musicians of the movie soundtrack.
Sarah, John, McDermott, Miguel, Dr. Logan, Bub, and of course Captain Rhodes were the only characters from George A. Romero’s original script that made it to the final version.
The Raven (1935) is a horror film starring Boris Karloff and Béla Lugosi, and directed by Lew Landers. It revolves around Edgar Allan Poe’s famous poem, featuring Lugosi as a Poe-obsessed mad surgeon with a torture chamber in his basement and Karloff as a fugitive murderer desperately on the run from the police. Lugosi had the larger role, but Karloff received top billing, using only his last name.
Almost three decades later, Karloff also appeared in another film with the same title, Roger Corman’s 1963 comedy The Raven with Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Jack Nicholson. Aside from the title, the two films bear no resemblance to one another.
The on-screen billing switches the character names played by Spencer Charters and Ian Wolfe. Charters actually portrays Colonel Bertram Grant, while Wolfe appears as Geoffrey “Pinky” Burns.
Shooting lasted from Mar. 20-Apr. 5, 1935, released July 4 in NYC, with Bela Lugosi in attendance, due to sail to England to begin “Mystery of the Marie Celeste. ”
Part of the original SHOCK THEATER package of 52 Universal titles released to television in 1957, followed a year later with SON OF SHOCK, which added 21 more features.
The Brides of Dracula is a 1960 British Hammer Horror film directed by Terence Fisher. It stars Peter Cushing as Van Helsing; Yvonne Monlaur as Marianne Danielle; Andree Melly as her roommate, Gina; Marie Devereux; David Peel as Baron Meinster, a disciple of Count Dracula; and Martita Hunt as his mother.
It is a sequel to Hammer’s original Dracula (USA: Horror of Dracula) (1958). Alternative working titles were Dracula 2 and Disciple Of Dracula. Dracula does not appear in the film (Christopher Lee would reprise his role in the 1966 Dracula: Prince of Darkness) and is mentioned only twice, once in the prologue, once by Van Helsing.
Shooting began for The Brides of Dracula on 16 January 1960 at Bray Studios. It premièred at the Odeon, Marble Arch on 6 July 1960.
The ending was to have originally had the vampires destroyed by a swarm of bats. This ending proved too expensive to stage and shoot. The concept of this ending was recycled three years later for the climax of Hammer’s The Kiss of the Vampire (1963).
Contrary to popular belief, Christopher Lee did not refuse to appear in this film, rather he was not asked for fear that the studio would have to pay him more money.
The prop department put a lot of effort into making a realistic model bat. It got lost and had to be replaced on short notice. This explains the rather unconvincing look of the model that got actually used in the movie.
The film underwent rewriting by others including director Terence Fisher who made changes to the script on the set just prior to shooting scenes.