Lust For a Vampire released January 17, 1971 (U.K.)
Lust For a Vampire (also known as Love for a Vampire or To Love a Vampire) is a 1971 British Hammer Horror film directed by Jimmy Sangster, starring Yutte Stensgaard, Michael Johnston and Barbara Jefford. It is the second film in the so-called Karnstein Trilogy loosely based on the J. Sheridan Le Fanu novella Carmilla. It was preceded by The Vampire Lovers and followed by Twins of Evil (1971). The three films do not form a chronological development, but use the Karnstein family as the source of the vampiric threat. The three films were somewhat daring for the time in explicitly depicting lesbian themes. It was given an R rating for some violence, gore, strong adult content, and nudity.
Production of Lust For a Vampire began not long after the release of The Vampire Lovers.
The film has a cult following although some Hammer Horror fans have accused it of being overly camp and silly. Its most noted scene shows Yutte Stensgaard chest drenched in blood and partially covered by blood-soaked rags.
Other notable actors in the film are Ralph Bates, Harvey Hall (who has a different role in each film of this series), David Healy and popular radio DJ Mike Raven.
- Jimmy Sangster replaced Terence Fisher at very short notice.
- Ralph Bates was cast at very short notice.
- Ingrid Pitt turned down the lead because she thought the script was terrible.
- Peter Cushing was originally intended to play the lead but asked to bow out so that he could continue to look after his ailing wife
- Despite Mike Raven being a well-known radio presenter, his voice was dubbed by Valentine Dyall.
- Yutte Stensgaard receives an “introducing” credit in the film’s theatrical trailer but not in the actual film’s credits. She had appeared in several films beforehand and this was in fact one of her very last roles before leaving the acting profession.
Tagged with: gore • J. Sheridan Le Fanu • Jimmy Sangster • Karnstein Trilogy • lesbian themes • loosely based • Love for a Vampire or To Love a Vampire • Lust for a Vampire • Michael Johnston • novella Carmilla • nudity • preceded by • R rating • second film • Starring • strong adult content • the Karnstein family • The Vampire Lovers • the vampiric threat • three films • Twins of Evil (1971) • violence • Yutte Stensgaard
Filed under: Hammer Films
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!